Kelly Dixon is a smart mom. She caught my attention with her clever take on mason jars, turning them into an on-the-go and must-have snacking container. Ever seen a mason jar look like this?
Didn’t think so.
So when I visited Norwood, MA for the Must Be the Milk’s weekly summer adventure with Fox25’s Zip Trip, I decided to showcase how to snack creatively during the hot and humid season.
The combinations I talked about included:
- Yogurt dip and veggies
- Whole grain cereal and low-fat milk
- Fresh berries and low-fat yogurt
- Overnight Soaked Oats
Those ideas are super simple and any of the items can be switched up. The soaked oats recipe is also easy, but there are a few more items to include. Here’s the recipe I used for Zip Trip:
Overnight Soaked Oats
Inspired by Katherine Younger, RD
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup plain low-fat yogurt (or Greek yogurt)
- ½ cup low-fat milk (more if using Greek yogurt)
- ¼ cup berries or banana slices
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Dash of cinnamon
- Optional toppings: Nuts, chopped apple, berries, a dollop of yogurt, unsweetened raisins, shredded coconut, or natural nut butter
- The night before, combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate.
- In the morning, stir the oats before serving. Mix in any optional toppings.