Skill Level: Intermediate
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon light olive oil
- 2 slices gluten-free bread
- 2 1/2 ounces low-fat mozzarella, cut into 4 slices
- 2 thick slices vine-ripe tomatoes
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch white pepper
- Place vinegar in small sauce pan and simmer on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes until thick and syrupy, stirring every so often so it doesn’t burn. Set aside.
- Brush olive oil on one side of both slices of bread and place oil-side down on a plate. Layer cheese on one slice and top with the other.
- Place sandwich in a pan over medium-high heat and place a plate on top to act as a weight. Turn the heat down to medium after a minute and cook for 2 to 4 minutes on each side, checking every minute or so. When cheese is nicely melted, remove from pan, open, and layer tomatoes inside.
- Sprinkle sandwich with salt and pepper, drizzle with 1 teaspoon balsamic reduction, slice in half, and serve.*
*A low-fat and gluten-free recipe
Adapted from Shape Magazine